Sunday, February 6, 2011

What is this all really about?

I've spent quite a lot of time this week on my computer. When I sit where I can pick up the rather weak internet signal, I have behind me a wall of windows which look out on cascading bouganvillea vines. Can you see the flowers reflected in the computer screen? It's kind of a optical illusion - a natural one. I have thoroughly enjoyed the companionship of these flowers as I've traveled throught this week's work!
And, more deeply, I've felt several times like this double image - the reflected flowers superimposed over the computer screens' contents - have made me more aware of the necessity to carefully reflect on "what's really going on here" to master the bigger picture as I've worked to sift through several communication situations with which I'll be doing some consulting in the coming weeks. Is it the screen contents or the reflected flowers that hold my attention...is it the surface information offered or observed, or are there deeper issues I need to ferret out in any given situation?
One of my projects involves trying to help develop an grass-roots, umbrella conservation effort here in Senegal, focusing on protecting the birds and the remaining highly endangered green spots. My proposed doctoral work will hopefully contribute to this effort at some level. I'll begun working on this with several long-time Senegalese friends, and several development agency folks. And as I work through the initial sorting out of what's gone on to date, what each person and group involved would like to see happen and how we can work strategically toward those goals...I will ask myself, "Am I focusing on the flowers, or on the details on the screen?" Both will have to happen - in a good balance.
Another part of my work involves contacting many former colleagues, and others here whom I have yet to meet, to offer my consulting services in the language and culture learning domains. I have lots of ideas and resources to offer, but first I have to 'just listen' to their situations, their expressed needs, their questions. And I will ask myself, "AmI going to focus in any given context on the flowers, or on the details on the screen?" Again, both are important in their proper time.
That's some of what I'm up to in the next week. How about you...are you focusing on the flowers or on the details on the screen? And where is that perhaps leading you?
Have a good one!

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully stated, Betsy... and balance is such a vital aspect. I think focusing on the flowers AND the screen together serves to create something they call:
    The Big Picture. :-)
    Traveling mercies to you. Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... you need them both! So good you can count on REFLECTIONS - so both are always available to you. Enjoying travelling with you, Betsy.

    ReplyDelete